Trouble Commissioning

This brings up an interesting question. Is the connection between the imp server and individual imps encrypted?

It is. We use industry standard TLS 1.0 encryption for the link.

As for the setup; I’ll file a request to add functionality to deal with hidden networks.

Nice product; great idea.

Commissioning doesn’t work at all with my Samsung Droid Charge (OLED display), I must have tried 20 times in various lighting conditions. :frowning:

Am a bit surprised you’re using a hardwired comms rate in the imp; why not send a preamble that the imp measures so you can support whatever baud rate the transmitting device display can do reliably? To be fair it sounds like you didn’t expect you’d have problems here…
Anyway, works fine with a Nexus 7 as I’m sure you’re aware.

RichAplin - I sent you half-speed blinkup. Let me know how things go.

Cheers

Nong

@Rich: we do adapt to timing; the issue is not the rate, but that android devices (seemingly just pre-4.1) drop frames regularly and randomly, and in such a way that the transmitting code can’t reliably tell that this has happened.

The half-speed blinkup allows us to notice dropped frames and compensate accordingly. It’s worked with every device we’ve tried including $75 resistive-touch tablets.

OLED screens are no problem, we’ve tested with various vendors.

Cannot get commissioning working:-(
I am using Google Nexus S with Adroid 4.1.2 and SparkFun breakout board https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11400 (powered over USB with correct jumper set).
I get the eImp blinking in orange when I insert it and it keeps on blinking orange when I click “Send BlinkUp” on my phone and the phone does the blinking. After a while the eImp stops falshing and will not flash again unitl I eject it and reinsert it again.
(I have tried multiple times with all sort of external light conditions and shielding light from eImp with my finger as explained in the wiki)

Any hints?

PM nong and she’ll get you hooked up with the half-speed android APK. We really need to get this out as the default app store app… this will almost certainly get you running!

Hi jmg - I’ve sent you the half-speed Android APK. Try it out and let us know how things go.

Thanks,

Nong

Data point for you.

Samsung Galaxy Epic Touch 4G (Sprint) SPH-D710 with stock Android 4.0.4 did not work.

BN Nook Color Running CM7 Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread) did not work.

I was able to commission with an iPod Touch 3rd gen running IOS 6.0.1.

I’m happy to test the non-working devices with other apps.

Hi pgrunwald - I’ve sent you the half-speed Android APK to try out on the Samsung Galaxy Epic Touch and BN Nook. Would be interested in knowing if the half-speed version helps.

Thanks!

It worked on my Samsung Galaxy. It did the erase on the nook but I could not get it connected. My nook is hacked with non-BN software so that is prob. not a good data point anyway.

Thanks for the update on the Samsung - glad it worked!

BlinkUp did not work on Motorola Defy (MB525) Firmware 2.2.2

Did work on HTC Desire.

Thanks for the info. I’ve added both to the wiki.

Please add to the list:
Google Nexus 4 does not work with blink-up.
Tried on automatic brightness and setting brightness to max without success.
Do you want me to try the half speed blink-up?
Peter

Hi Peter

I’ve added Google Nexus 4 to the list. I’ve sent you the half-speed blinkup. Please try and let us know how things go.

Thanks!

Nong

Hi Nong
Not sure is if works or not.
On first trying it, it seemed as both normal and half worked but I think now that the imp was just ignoring it and using the existing configuration.
Eventually I got it to fast red (not sure how!) and then the Nexus would not work in either normal or half. I used my TF101 and it worked first time.
Tried Nexus again with brightness on high - this time the imp responded with fast red, so it had seen blink-up but did not like it. Once again TF101 worked first time.
Hope that makes sense
Regards
Peter

Thanks for the update, Peter. Unusual so I’ll see if Hugo has any ideas.

What’s the exact FW version on the nexus 4? Generally android 4.2+ devices (eg nexus 7) have been very trouble-free.

Hi Hugo,
Android 4.2.1
Kernel 3.4.0-perf-ge039dcb
Regards
Peter