Trouble Commissioning

Forgot to mention one add’l thing.  Most times I’ll observe the fast red blink right at the end of the BlinkUp sequence.  However, I’ll occasionally also note a delay of perhaps 10-15 seconds between the end of BlinkUp and when I get the fast red blink.   It’s like maybe the attempt is going to go thru, but then the CRC failure … not sure why this extended interval on some attempts, or its significance.

Larry

It’s extended because the length byte got corrupted, so it’s still collecting bits. This is a sign of things really not going well…

Just wanted to update this discussion that I started.  I installed the iOS app on an iPad Gen. 1 and it worked perfectly the first time (even with ambient light).  Still no luck on the DroidX.

I can confirm DroidX does not work. Several tries, even in a dark room, with no luck. Tried it on a Kindle Fire w/CM10 and it worked first try.

Hi, I also have some trouble commissioning my imps.

My setup:
2 imps
2 Sparkfun breakout boards, powered over USB
router: FritzBox 7270
WLAN channel 10 (2.4Ghz)
WPA2 key

after a few unsuccessful blinkups (I was on channel 13 etc)
I got to this:
blinkup -> one green flash -> a few red flashes -> a loop of off, red, orange -> a few red flashes -> again the loop -> … -> all led’s go dead after a minute
when I unplug the USB and reconnect it, the imp stays dead
only when I take it out of its socket and put it back in it starts to blink again:
a few red flashes -> a few times the loop off, red, orange -> red flashes -> loop -> … -> it shuts down after a minute

when I try to “clear wireless configuration”, I end up with:
3 green flashes -> a loop off, red, orange -> etc etc

Can anyone give me a hint how to get this working?
I’ve been trying for 2 hours now.

thanks,

pieter

UPDATE.

I got both imps to work!
I’ve used my iPhone as a hotspot over 3G.
So it must be the router …
Or my SSID & password, both are 16+ char long and the SSID even has spaces.
Could those be the issue?

Same issues here: router is FritzBox 7390
So it seems to be an issue by the router. After connecting to an open network (no wep, no wpa2) the imps were working as intended. After that they were also working with FritzBox 7390 (no router settings changed)

Did you see them update their firmware at the time of the open network connection? I don’t believe you should have had an old enough version to have our WPA2 identify bug but that could explain it…

I let them run just in case they did. What is the update-blinkcode again?

I’m having the same issue with an older fritzbox (7170). Without wireless security the imp works fine, with WPA2 it won’t connect.

Any hints or tips ?

@iamnifty: updates look like short/long green blinks (~15+ sec) then solid green (~15+ sec), then a reboot.

It would be really useful to be able to dump the IE (information element) frames from the fritzbox’s beacon packets, to see if maybe our code is auto-identifying your encryption type wrongly. I believe this may be possible with the linux iw tool, but I’m not sure (I don’t have anything to try it with).

If anyone does, info on IEs can be found here:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/Glossary#Information_Element

I think this has little to do with WPA2 but more with being unable to blinkup short passwords.

@ivoknutsel: In my case I tried with to networks (both Fritzbox) – Both passwords are 16 chars long.

@Hugo: I try to dump the IE. I didn’t see my Imps updating so far – maybe I missed it. Can I trigger it?

If its the 802.11 beacons you can capture them with wireshark in montor mode (with linux or osx) .

Bruce on those OSes do you need third-party libraries?
In windows you need a 200$ dongle like AirPcap

Not on my macbook pro. uses the internal airport adapter. It seems to be dependent on the interface installed in whatever machine you are using.

Here’s the section from the wireshark site (not the easiest to follow)

CaptureSetup/WLAN

and for more stuff take a look at the Hak5 site

Hak 1123 – WiFi Hacking Workshop Part 2
The wireshark stuff starts right at the end of the clip and continues over here

Bruce thanks.

After considerable effort to get it working with my network (hidden SSID, WPA2) I found a working solution. The Imp didn’t like my SSID or password but eventually I just gave up and created a virtual wireless network with the SSID of IMP with no encryption (I have ACL’s setup so only the imp can get internet access), I also made it hidden to avoid snooping. Depending on your router your mileage may vary. On a side note I tried the same with the wireless tethering on my Galaxy s2x and had it working for about 30 seconds.

I’d be interested to know if you make your network visible (no change to password), did the blinkup, and when connected then made the network invisible again.

We currently need to see the network in order to identify the encryption type before we join, but after the encryption type is stored we don’t care.

That is what I did and the imp has no troubles. I have 2 networks home and office and both have virtual IMP SSID hidden and the imp springs to life at both. I am 100 % positive MAC address of the router does not play a part in connection. You could bridge your wifi and ethernet adaptors, and then create an new network on the wireless.