Create a Bulb for an artistic experiment

Hi everybody… Just a question: i need a bulb, just a bulb, with the possibility that, once activated, could be only managed by me… i mean, like throwing a bottle with a message in an ocean and see where it goes…
I’d like to give this bulb to a stranger, and then a couple or three times a year switching on the light when i want, without the permission of the owner and everywhere my bulb is…
I’d like to use a battery for the bulb but don’t know if it’s maybe better AC power, because it has to stay connected to wifi 24/7 for years…
Anybody could help me?

The main issue you would have with the Imp is making sure it is connected to wifi wherever it is. The rest is just power management. If the strangers are diligent about connecting the bulb to a wifi source and keeping it within range, you shouldn’t have an issue. An Imp in deep sleep can run for a very very long time on batteries.

A/C would certainly be reliable. I’ve been working on somewhat similar projects… a light that you would give to someone that you could manipulate… either through a control or even something like facebook or twitter.

Maybe the next version of the OS will be able to scan for Open Wifi Networks? I think that is the only possibility for activating it in an unknown location. If the desired Wifi is secure, you could use a website to enter the password where it will be going while it is still connected to the last open network. That is the only possibility I can think of better than Blinkup.

That’s sort of light the Bud Light. You have it in your house and someone else turns it on.

Yes, a sort of bud light. but how can i program my bulb? i mean, once i have an electric pimp… Should i write a program for controlling it? is there an app that, once installed, let me switch the bulb simply pushing my virtual button on the iphone?

Yes you’ll need to write code for the device, to turn on your bulb, and also code for the agent, to receive requests to turn it on. That isn’t complex, and there is lots of example code to go on. As far as an app, yes, there are several. I’ve written two (Pitchfork, and IoT Buddy), but as much as I would love to have you use them, it would be just as easy to create a simple web control from your imps agent with a javascript switch. Either will work just fine. With the web control you would just browse to the imp’s agent URL, and it would reply with the switch control page.

You could put a gps receiver on your bulb too, and your imp could send you its location.

That’s cool! are you working on something similar? i’d love to have a bulb like this… Only a battery, and a gps receiver…
do you think i could have a lamp like this, already setted? i’m not so expert about programming…

What’s the GPS for? I’d make one for you!

what I’ve understood is when you use a gps, your batteries won’t last that long…

True, but I assume he would only be firing it up every few years or so…from the details about the project. Turn it on…get a reading… shut it off.

There could be a web command to enable the GPS. Each activation would only require about 100ma/1min= 1mah. 1000’s in a battery. The light will rarely be activated. The limiting factor is how often you’d connect to check for a command. About once an hour sounds about right. You’d have to abort immediately if there was no Wifi available, instead of trying for a minute? Maybe wait a day when that happens. Now it’s easy to calculate the required size of the battery given those parameters.

If you provided a USB port for power, then it could be Always On waiting for a command. Why not allow for both modes? And charge the battery at the same time? It could switch modes when you disconnect it. I made something similar with a 2000mw laser instead of a light…

Yes! it’s a fantastic idea! recap my idea: a Bulb, i mean something like Philips hue, but that doesn’t need to be put in a lamp, a bulb that can already be operative with his battery below. a Usb port for power, so it has both modes of charging. a gps receiver inside. Then must be programmed for be switched on and off with an app that can control it. Maybe giving something like unique ip, like a mac address for pc…(my idea is to put several bulbs in the world, and i’d like to manage all). For the wifi connection, obviously i could give instruction written inside about connecting the bulb with the wifi (flashing light with iphone or android), for the person that in that moment has my bulb…
I want this! and i’d pay for it…
I’m in italy, that’s my problem… i can hardly find Electric imp here… can anybody help me? Sbright33??

http://smartmaker.com/ has a warehouse in Italy

I’ve made a few prototypes of an AC switch that you could use with any light or any electrical device… so have several others, in fact, an instructable was just posted.

Here is one I built.

It plugs directly into an outlet and has a jack on the bottom.

this one I really like…

I still don’t know what the GPS is for? BlinkUp is one way. I like being able to scan for an Open Network better. Simpler. The developer can hardcode the Wifi password remotely while the Imp is still connected to an Open Wifi. If the first user plans to move it to a secure Wifi network when he gives it to a friend. This way the Imp can be protected inside. Has anyone gotten feedback about letting an inexperienced end user Blinkup many times? Many different users? Are they happy with it?

The gps is a plus, i need primary that my bulb can be switched on, just a flashing, a few times in a year by me. I told, i know it’s a strange request but it’s an experiment, something with art…
like in the photo, a bulb without the need to be put in a lamp (so i also need a place below where to put the battery). with an electric imp inside that can connect the bulb with wifi.
Nothing else.
Still searching for electric imp but can’t find shipped to italy …

http://www.antratek.com/
They ship to Italy as well

even nicer to let it blink a message in morse…