Budweiser red light

It’s WiFi connected. I assume you’ve connected it to your WiFi using “blink-up”?

I’ve never used a bud light … it also has an app?
When you connect the light to your WiFi, you can see the device on the app?

@DCJinWA it will wake up for the configured teams games, and give you the 5 min warning.

Once it’s set up, the app is not needed - the light is connected to Bud’s servers via wifi. Phone doesn’t even have to be in the same country :wink:

It does go to sleep when matches aren’t on, so the batteries last years generally. The test button only works when the device is awake. If you turn it on and off again manually, I think it stays awake for a few minutes.

Looking for a little Bud Red Light help myself.

We recently upgraded our home network to dual band 2.4/5 GHz, and since then I’ve been unable to connect my light. I’ve been only trying to connect to the 2.4 band. After fighting with it, I eventually got a flashing green light…but test goal alerts sent from my phone didn’t set my light off. Eventually, the flashing green light gave way to flashing orange. Turning the light off then back on gave me flashing green again, but again the test goal alerts did nothing, and again I got flashing orange again a short time later.

Budweiser sent out two other IMP cards for me to try, but they didn’t work either. Eventually, Budweiser sent me a brand new light (with a built-in IMP card) and the same thing is happening. I contacted my ISP and they changed one setting on my network (don’t know what it was) which didn’t fix the problem. They confirmed that my light’s MAC address showed up on my network, so it seems like it was connected. But, outside of the one change they made (which did nothing), they said there was nothing else they could do.

I finally took my light to a different network and it blinked up perfectly the first time and goal alerts from my phone set the light off. So, clearly my light works and it’s my network settings and/or hardware at home that is causing the problems. Everything else connects on my home wifi network without any problem: TV’s, iPhones, iPads, computers etc. I just cannot get my Bud Red Light to connect.

So, at this point, I’m guessing/hoping that there is some setting I can tweak on my router to get my BRL connected, but I have no idea where to start. Any ideas anyone?

If the imp is flashing slow green then the connectivity is fine. If the test light button doesn’t work then the issue is with their backend, not the imp service.

But… if your network is closing the TCP connection silently then that could cause this issue. The device won’t notice for up to 90 seconds, then it’ll reconnect, but that 90s will be a “dead spot” in which goals/triggers won’t propagate.

What router is it?

It is an Arris 5168N. I also am using a WiFi extender…if that makes a difference.

Problem solved!

Spoke with Budweiser support, and they said that the BRL cannot connect through my WiFi extender. Tried to be clever by just bypassing the extender box, but then I couldn’t connect to either the 2.4 or 5 GHz network (because their SSID’s were associated to the extender box).

Called my ISP support line and explained that I couldn’t connect my BRL through the extender and to see if there was any way I could temporarily disable it to blink up my light and use it during games. Instead, he flipped a setting on my main gateway box so that it started to broadcast its own WiFi signal under a different network name. Blinked up using this new network SSID and password, light connects properly to the network, and tests from the app trigger it as well!

Mmm, wonder how that extender works? It may not like devices that enter wifi powersave mode (which we do, to preserve battery life). Budweiser have the ability to disable this mode on their console if it’s problematic for anyone though.

But… you’re up now and the season has not yet started so that’s a win :slight_smile:

FWIW, my extender is an ActionTec WEB6000Q:

But, yeah, up and running before the season starts! Always a good thing!

Thanks for all of your help, Hugo.

I’ve had the Budweiser red light for a couple years.

Sometimes it works great sometimes very intermittently.

Since I have exhausted my search for this with no results, I’m wondering if anyone as the answer to these questions:

Does anyone know what the red light blinking pattern means?

I have 3 different examples that I have seen so far

1 Long and 3 Short (Long Short Short Short) Pattern;
This seems to occur when its connected to Wifi but the Wifi is suddenly turned off.

5 Long( Long Long Long Long Long)
Not sure what that means. Battery Low?

1 Long and 5 Short (Long Short Short Short Short Short) Pattern;
Wifi is seen but internet is disconected?

Blinkup codes are here: https://developer.electricimp.com/troubleshooting/blinkup

Long, 3x short are when it’s trying to join wifi. Yes, if wifi went away you’d either see this or long, 2x short (searching for wifi)

If you’re seeing a lot of long reds then that could be the device booting and browning out (low battery). If the device, when you press the test button, isn’t super loud, that could be it.

If it gets on wifi but can’t get to the server, then you’ll generally see one of the red/yellow codes.

It seems this is the only place where there is discussion about the Red Light. I have a more design related question…

Of the 31 NHL teams only 9 have their signature goal sound which I absolutely love. The generic goal sound is ok but it would be great if all 31 teams had their signature goal sound on the red light.

Is this a Budweiser Arena licensing issue?

I believe what happens here is that the Bud Light company is using Electric Imp as the connection from the user’s WiFi network to their online cloud. Electric Imp is doing their job perfectly. The problem is on the end of Bud Light. Either their new apps are having issues, or their processing cloud is not functioning properly.

In your case, it seems to be working. Others have problems from time to time. To have different sounds would be up to the Bud Light programmers. How you get a hold of them is a mystery to me … and apparently others too.

That’s a question for Budweiser. As @mlseim says, Electric Imp doesn’t make this product, we’re just the platform on which it runs.

Thanks for the replies. I thought I would take a shot here with my question. Twitter has a Red Light account but they have not responded from questions months ago.

A person could make their own Bud Light, but it would cost a bit of money. You would need to subscribe to an online “live sports” API that would text a cellphone when a goal was made (instantly). The cellphone would be a Twilio phone number. Twilio then sends the “goal information” to your Imp Agent -> Imp Device -> Sound card and light.

Hardly worth the cost, but it would be really cool.

Sorry for the 12-month bump, but this seems to be the only place there was any kind of decent discussion going on. Getting ready for the season, speaker keeps cutting out after a couple seconds of goal horn. Batteries should be fine. New last season and when I drop them in my MAG light they burn my retinas. I’m going to change them today anyways, but I really think it’s the speaker. Anybody know the model / size so I can put in a new one? Better yet, anybody drill through the side to run an AUX cable to a much better speaker? Yes, voids the warranty, but I got mine day one so it’s over five years old now. I just want to get it ready to go for my Bruins tomorrow. Good luck to everybody starting tonight. It’s great to have some hockey back. :slight_smile: Also, the new app? Barely works (Bud question, I know). I bet it doesn’t even connect tonight for testing. And the ipm still can’t understand flashing from a google Pixel 3? Budweiser said this was the problem last year, the Pixel screen. Only partially works if I flash it with my test iPhone so I have to carry two phones if I want to program it. Anybody have the same issue with Pixels?

If the speaker drops out at that point, it’s almost certainly batteries. Is there any corrosion on the terminals? Pull out the springs to ensure decent tension. The lights/audio take a huge amount of current (I think it was near 2 amps).

Not aware of what Budweiser have done with integrating updated versions of the blinkup library, I’m afraid. I don’t think you need to re-blinkup to change teams, but it has been a while since I used one…

Appreciate all the help Hugo. We all do. So it’s back up. New batteries and some spring tension. Back to my old issue (V2 rubber imp button) It won’t program with any newer devices. No go Pixel3, no go iPhone 11. Screen flashes, imp blinks res then fails. Guess I need to track down and dinosaur to get it reprogrammed? I’m fairly certain it’ll still be programmed, but was hoping to test and know for sure before tomorrow’s game. Oh well. :wink:

For $6 per month you can use the NHL site to text your phone each time your team scores a goal. Since Twilio is now a part of Imp there is the new Imp 006. I don’t know what the costs are for Twilio to use the agent, but the phone number the NHL site uses would be your Twilio phone number… thus you just created your own Bud Light that you are in control of. Buy a real hockey goal light and “Imp it”. Single game alerts are .99 per game for up to 10 alerts. I would have to think the text alerts are accurate and quick response.

If I pay for a Twilio account and have my own Twilio phone number, does Twilio directly work with the agent? I’m not sure how that relationship works.

With all the bud light problems, I would rather build my own. I think the Twilio aspect might be a real game changer … pun intended.

“Does Twilio directly work with the agent?”

It’s not plumbed in directly to the agent, but our Twilio library works very well to send messages (see this sample code: Build A Network Monitor With Twilio SMS Alerts | Dev Center) and respond to them.

More to the point for a DIY Red Light, it’s not difficult to set an agent as a destination for a Twilio phone number’s Messaging webhook, which will fire on receipt of a text message:

Here’s some basic agent code for receiving the message: TwilioApp/twilio.app.agent.nut at main · smittytone/TwilioApp · GitHub