Up time reliability of Electric IMP Servers?

Just curious … Up time reliability of Electric IMP Servers?
The longest time you were off-line?
How many servers do you have?

We have very high aims for uptime, and are continuously working on improvements to our infrastructure including wider geographic fallbacks. Manufacturers have an SLA guarantee for their service.

I can’t comment on exact details of our architecture, sorry.

The reason why I ask, as a customer, I am depending on your servers to provide
accurate reliable “timely” network time. If your infrastructure cannot handle this simple task then that is a problem?

Your servers, so far, has provided the precision time needed (± 2 secs)
by our applications. What is really needed is for your servers to provide the
local time with or without DST.

Manufacturers have an SLA guarantee for their service.

I hope you don’t mean that there are two classes or services available. One for the OEMs and one for the hobbyist or hackers and moving from one class to another requires $$$$ for the best available service. You would think that everyone would have the same and equal service ?

I know, I am sounding blunt but I need to know the answers to my pointed questions as a future OEM.

“Local time” has no meaning in the context of a server; they can and will be in different places around the world. Local time, and/or what DST is, varies region to region. At some point we may allow you to specify a timezone to work this out, but you’ll need to specify the timezone - it won’t be automatic.

Correct, developers will not have identical service to manufacturers. The manufacturer service will have less frequent updates, because stability is valued more highly than features for production devices. We hope to offer developers the choice of server (bleeding edge, or production) so they can pick which they prefer.

"Local time" has no meaning in the context of a server; they can and will be in different places around the world. Local time, and/or what DST is, varies region to region. At some point we may allow you to specify a timezone to work this out, but you'll need to specify the timezone - it won't be automatic.

correct but …

The IMP function x = time(); obtains the server’s UNIX UTC/GMT time
in seconds.

What we are asking is by inserting a special parameter in the IMP function
x = time(EST or EDT); will produce the local time for the user’s IMP.
Normally EST (eastern standard time = time zone = -5 hrs from GMT)
EDT (eastern daylight savings time = time zone = -4 hrs from GMT)
By having to process a complex DST algorithm in squirrel on the IMP would
be very hard. By having Electric IMP modify this simple function
with parameters, then all users could easily have “local UNIX time in seconds”.
Imagine all users having precision local time with “automatic” adjusted daylight savings time for their projects?
By providing this local time or “any time” gets me back to the main topic or
posted thread … how reliable are your servers?

BTW … west coast parameters would be PST PDT.

I understand what you want, which is what I suggested - but no schedule for this functionality. However, there’s no reason you can’t fetch time from another server (using agents).

eg: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/timezone/

I answered the uptime question earlier. It’s very good and we’re doing everything we can to ensure it gets very close to 100%; there is an SLA for manufacturers.

there's no reason you can't fetch time from another server (using agents).

Google always have a gotcha …
the Google Time Zone API is subject to a limit of 2,500 per day.

That is why we prefer the IMP’s Cloud Server to generate the local time.
There can be no “finger pointing” when using the Electric IMP’s cloud server
generated local time.