Temp sensor - choice and exposure to environment

Currently working on my first imp project and I’m looking 10 steps ahead and thinking about how I will package (enclose) my device.

My question pertains in general to temperature sensors and their exposure to the environment that they are measuring.

As a simple example, let’s say the device will be measuring the temperature of a refrigerator, and the device is enclosed in a plastic case, mounted somewhere inside the refrigerator. In order to obtain an accurate reading, what do I need to be thinking about in terms of exposing the sensor to the air outside of the enclosure? Are a few vent holes in the enclosure all that is needed? Should I choose a sensor that could be mounted exposed through an opening in the case?

I guess this question could pertain to other environmental sensors as well. I appreciate any input or direction to reference materials that discuss this. Thanks!

If you are going to use an Eletric Imp, I would think just a few vent holes in the case would be fine. Even no holes would probably be just fine too, since the components use so little current nothing really generates any heat, but for faster response, make some vent holes.

The big problem with temperature sensors is radiated heat, like if you put a sensor outside to measure the temperature. If it gets hit by heat from the sun, the sensor will get heated up by that, to above ambient temperature.

Thank you. That is what I was thinking at first. While learning about the imp I built a device using a thermistor - and at that point I was overwhelmed by the choices in different physical formats, which got me thinking about why those formats existed, etc.

So more or less a simple chip based thermistor or sensor IC would be fine with a vented enclosure, assuming nothing else inside the enclosure generates any heat to speak of.