Suggestions on Temperature Sensors Over Long Distance

Hi Guys,

Had quite a few ideas for various internet connected things lately but haven’t had the time to prototype them…

With the imp a bit of breadboard is enough because 98% of the soldering is already done…

Anyway, i’ve ordered a few imps which should be here tomorrow, in our building we have 2 large heaters suspended from the roof, when a they are switched on they run until someone gets too warm and then turns them off, then they get too cold and vice versa…

I want to use the imp to measure the temperature at both sides of the building controlling the heaters, i’ll also put a switch on the big door so the heaters are off when its open…

My question is which temp sensors would be suitable to connect to an imp, I would like to connect up to 4 sensors over a range of around 15m each over CAT5e…

Any ideas? It’d be good if I could use 1 pin with the sensors all on different addresses…

Thanks in advance…

Dean.

The DS1820 temperature sensor (1-wire) is very popular for this type of application. Right now, the imp can’t drive this directly so you’d need to use an I2C-1wire bridge chip like the DS2482.

This will use 2 pins on the imp (i2c) but then you just need to run 2 wires (ground and power/data) to each sensor.

You could use a PT1000 I known people run the up to 30m. But you will need more than cat5 or at least have to join pairs together being a resistive type sensor cable cross section and length will influence readings.

http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/148

cool project. Maybe you could start out with an Imp at each heater and figure out the network as you go; thereby rescuing the Imps and using them for some other project.

There is an ADC onboard so you could start with a TMP36 and read it that way.

caution! I am a beginner - just throwing ideas out.

Hi Guys,

Just a suggestion Hugo but an Opt in alert system to inform of new messages could be useful, just came back on here to see what i’d written to see if i wasn’t being clear and noticed the replies…

Going to order a few bridges and DS1820’s and get playing with them…

Just started on my second project (though technically it’s the first since i haven’t started the aforementioned project lol)

Got an IMP wired to my house alarm (through a reed-relay from the 12v strobe output, chose the strobe output because it stays active till reset unlike the sounder) and home central heating boiler (through a relay to heat demand pins)

Loving it!

Once I get to grips with the planner and squirrel i’ll post some updates…

Thanks!

Dean.

Ordered some DS2482S-800 and DS2482S-100 bridges and 10x DS18B20 temp sensor, should be here tomorrow…

Imp-ready trv’s or zone valves could make an Internet enabled independently controlled (on a per room basis) heating system…

Deanbayley,

The opt in option is already there. When you’re locked in, you will have a “deanbayley” tab on the top of the page (next to sign out). Select that, and click on “My Preferences”.

And good luck on your project!

So it is, and a ton more… Thanks!

Added another Imp, what happens when you have 10 imps, can you have 10 planners or do they just stay in one page?

Also noticed that when you add a new imp and select the default firmware which says “// Default blank firmware” at the top it doesn’t say that in the code section straight away, removing the first space and saving makes it appear, or it could just be the act of refreshing or saving…

Also bridges and temp sensors have arrived :smiley:

D.

Planner is per account, not per imp. Probably the saving that makes the firmware name appear. The IDE is going to change significantly quite soon :slight_smile:

Not sure how much feedback you guys are after but here I go :wink:

Having multiple pages on the planner could be an idea, you could make a simple drag to top right or something then a box could popup asking which page to move to, an existing page or a new one…

Also i made a little interface (see attached) for testing communication’s with the imp and discovered something i’d never come across before Cross-origin resource sharing, i’m planning on using XMLHttpRequests from an iphone webapp to control my imp’s, please could you add

header('Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *');

To the HTTP API, which will allow XMLHttpRequests from any url…

Also is there any way to request information from an IMP, the only way i can think of at the moment would be for the imp to send values to my server and for me to query my server…

Upon opening the app I could do:

https://api.electricimp.com/v1///?action=begin-updates&interval=10

then the imp could update my server at what ever interval i request and everytime it updates it could check whether or not updates continued to be needed (if the app had been closed it would have stopped polling my server)…

Can i do: https://api.electricimp.com/v1///?action=get-reception-temp

and somehow have it return “21.5” rather than “OK”

Lastly if you are looking for beta testers for new anything’s count me in!

Dean.

Agents allow you to receive a request from an external node (eg your phone or browser), send a command (or commands) to the imp, collect returned data, and format it then return it to the requester. I guess this is what you really want!

We have testers for agents right now, it’ll be rolling out just as soon as we’re happy with the features and stability.

UPDATE: After finding my electric Imps in a box in the loft I decided to revisit them as I stopped using them as agents weren’t available…

Has anyone come up with a known working circuit for temp sensors over CAT5 etc?

Not quite an answer to the question posed but kinda related. I’ve a question regarding IMP005 and Ethernet Connections. Will it be possible to develop an SNMP library. In data server room environment monitoring systems, for example, you would have an SNMP manager and create SNMP traps for sending alert conditions such when an attached temperature sensor if above/below threshold etc. Here is an example of one such device http://www.teracom.cc/products/tcw122b-cm-remote-environmental-monitoring/

@deanbayley search for 1-wire. Lots of people doing multiple 18B20’s on the standard RJ11 type wiring.

@gerrikoio not at present, no, however such a device doesn’t actually need to be internet connected (though managing it that way is easier). You could always use a wiznet 5500 to sit on the SNMP network right now, but that’s a little messy.