Reprogramming an Imp

Sorry if this question is not allowed or valid :).

Is it possible for me to “reprogram” or “rebless” (or whatever the correct term is :P) an existing Imp device (like Quirky ones) with my own “firmware”? (again, maybe I’m not using the correct terms).

Thank you in advance :).

The short answer is yes, but @peter answered this question fairly extensively in this thread.

I tried it with a Quirky spotter and did not get it to work. cannot say I tried super-hard because I assumed it had somehow been locked from this ability.

My solution was to desolder the imp002 module and install my own. For me there was no value to the Quirky spotter software. I bought one very early and assume/hope they have improved it by now.

maybe I should have tried blink-up a few more times.

Thanks for your responses!

However, and sorry for being dense here, I still don’t know if it’s possible, even after reading that thread.

So without replacing any part of the hardware, can I reprogram the device? I don’t care much for agent access, what I want is my own soft running the hardware in offline mode.

Thank you again!

I think the answer is, you technically should be able to, but we can’t know exactly what each manufacturer will do. There is only one way to find out, right? :slight_smile:

@arcnor - The answer is generally (although not necessarily always) no. Here’s why:

We provide functionality to manufacturers to lock down (“bless”) their devices. When you bless a device, it associates the DeviceID to the code it was blessed for. This association exists regardless of what account it’s blinked up (unlike ‘developer’ behaviour that associates the DeviceID + AccountID to the code).

We also provide functionality that allows manufacturers to ship products with code that be modified or unlocked - right now no one (that I know of) is building products with this option, but it’s not out of the question, and it is possible.

Yeah, sorry. I read the thread again (maybe it was my head in the morning that was failing) and the first thing that Peter replies is “it should work, but the Lockinator (in that particular case) will do nothing” or similar. I’m happy with that, as if I do this, I’ll be creating new software anyway (and hoping that in that case, the hardware will do something :P)

I don’t have the hardware yet, but I wanted to know this first before investing on it (it doesn’t work for my purposes in the current state).

Thank you again!

Oh, we commented at the same time @beardedinventor, didn’t see your response.

Well, that’s a shame. In its current form, the current firmware is of very limited use to me.
I’m also assuming you cannot “unbless” a device, even if the company itself wanted to?

I mean, unbless it to add that functionality (modify or unlock the device) that you talk about…

The manufacturer can “unbless” devices if they want - although this won’t let you see or edit the code they wrote - and most manufacturers likely will not do this for you.

New Relic used Electric Imp in a fancy conference badge they designed and manufactured. At the end of the conference, they unblessed all the badges, and provided the code through GitHub.

All of that is to once again say that it is possible to do these things, but most companies are not at the moment (and if you called into a manufacturer, they probably wouldn’t do it for you).

Well, seeing their code is not what I want, but being able to modify the device (I know I’ll have to figure how to control the hardware and all that, but that’s part of the fun, isn’t it?)

Also, you’ve made it clear enough that it’s probably not going to happen, although asking is always free :slight_smile:

Thank you, @beardedinventor, you’ve replied all my questions :slight_smile:

No problem! Always happy to answer questions.

If you’re really set on modifying the hardware, all you need to do is remove the imp module, and add one of your own… with a nice soldering station (like at a hackerspace) this shouldn’t be too difficult :slight_smile:

Well, the idea was to modify a few ones, not only one. Past a certain number, it might not be worth it.

I’ll try asking first, as I see it as a win for all the parties: normal customers don’t care about modification, so for them nothing changes, but you win customers that want to play with your hardware in a different way.