P3V3 - Electric Imp Module Development Board

We are taking pre-orders for our new Imp module breakout, P3V3 and expect to receive it from the manufacturer the first week in April. All pre-orders will receive a 10% discount on either variant. Use code “P3V3” at checkout for the discount. P3V3 is a very user friendly breakout squeezed into a small DIP style footprint. We designed it to easily use the on-board BlinkUp components or switch to external components whenever you are ready. Please see the product page for more details.

Scratch that 5%… pre-orders will get 10% off!

Is it possible to make address changes after step2 ?

I need my address to include my VAT number since our postal service(and its not part of my paypal address) is less than stellar, and need every help they can get in figuring out its a business shipment to avoid it going trough their private customs handling.

Email support@themakedeck.com with the address that you would like to use, and I’ll make sure it goes to the right place. We definitely want to keep customs happy.

We expect to receive the first delivery of P3V3 on Wednesday, and hope to begin shipping Thursday. Pre-order sale will end Wednesday night, so get your orders in now! Thanks to everyone who has placed an order so far!

P3V3 is back from the manufacturer! All pre-orders that are ready to ship will go out first thing in the morning, and pre-order pricing will end at midnight, so get your orders in now!

P3V3 with 0.1" screw terminals installed into the bottom of the board. Makes for really easy project wiring. I’ll be replacing the Imp in my security system with this board. If you would like to purchase P3V3’s configured like this, email support@themakedeck.com. If it is a popular configuration, we will stock it regularly… and we might have to find black screw terminals. :slight_smile:

Printing the pinmux table on the PCB itself is a nice touch!

Peter

Thanks Peter! I actually refer to it regularly. Keeping the board small and squeezing all that information onto the silkscreen is a challenge, and we are still improving it.

I found out accidentally that these terminals make great general purpose connection points to the imp. Our garage door controller had these terminals for easy connection to door sensors and future expansion options: miHomeAgent.net . I now use that version of the garage door opener PCB for all my general imp prototyping needs simply because of the ease of connection! Your board looks good @jwehr. Here’s an image of my miHomeGarage board being used for prototyping. On a PCB they call this dead-bugging…

@deonsmt That’s a nice board and layout! Pheonix Contact makes a spring terminal that I have been tempted to use… maybe make something like the Adafruit “Wing Shield” for the Arduino. You don’t need a screwdriver, but they are a bit more expensive than I like. It would probably also be a bit harder to insert multiple contacts.

@jwehr - we used the spring loaded terminals for production products at the last company I worked for. The cost of the part was secondary to the man-hour savings for assembly of the product. I think they are great.
Mouser sells the screw type 2 pin terminal blocks for $1.11 and the spring loaded ones for $1.30. Right now, I snag deals on ebay for 2 pin screw terminals at about $0.20 each and have never been able to find the spring cage type, so I’ll stick to screw type. Not as cheap as a solder pad, but much better utility. Margins on consumer hardware products are tiny - it’s a difficult business to be in!

P3V3 with female header installed vertically. For those times when you want to prototype quickly. Plug in jumper wires and go!

New video on YouTube: How to use external BlinkUp components with P3V3 & C3V0.

Both versions of P3V3 will be on sale for $39 all day Wednesday in honor of Global IoT Day!

P3V3 works very nicely for hacking the Attacknid Stryder. You can easily replace the original circuit board and have all the original functionality.

…and here is a picture of the fully hacked Stryder using P3V3.

The two walking motors are controlled by a Pololu motor controller, the firing mechanism motor is controlled by PWMing a FET, and a small servo raises and lowers the weapon.