iOS9

I assume you guys also use the CaptiveNetwork framework in your SDK to get the users current SSID?

Well Apple have depreciated this in iOS9 as I’m sure you are aware. The only other method I know of to get the SSID in iOS9 is via the new NEHotspotHelper service however you need to apply to Apple to get the entitlement to use this. I’m not sure our use case will convince Apple to grant us the entitlement. Have you had any joy in trying.

Thanks
Jordan

We’ve only just started looking at WiFi Personal Hotspot management on IOS. We are totally Android in our dev team and I guess we really should have looked at iphones earlier. It’s been a big shock. I had assumed that Apple had a similar open environment with respect to SSID and password control. Boy, was I wrong! Apple is a gilded cage. Maybe this has something to do with different markets too, but placing commercial restrictions on personal hotspots is just infuriating.

Yep, and yes it doesn’t work any more. Seems like Apple will not give you hotspot helper privileges unless, well, you are a hotspot helper (ie your app does automatic hotspot auth for public hotspots so the user never sees one of those annoying landing pages).

The only hope is that Apple add a simpler API to get the SSID. Seems like many people are in the same boat, but it could always be Apple trying to get people to pay them to use WAC (wireless auto configure) - which isn’t even possible for hardware that’s in the field already.

@coverdriven Commercial restrictions on personal hotspots? Not seen any of that.

@Hugo, I can use personal hotspots on any of the carriers here in New Zealand with my Android phone. I don’t recall coming across any restrictions when I was in Germany either. Regarding the US, I’m only relating what I’ve read. I see plenty of comment about carriers like AT&T asking for money for the privilege. Perhaps that has changed.

This is not an Apple thing, it’s a carrier thing. In the US, some carriers charge for hotspot access regardless of platform (eg AT&T - not every data plan includes hotspot privileges) - the Android phones AT&T ship have hotspot functionality disabled unless you are on the correct plan. On Android it’s easy to download an app to circumvent this though (eg proxies etc).

This is generally changing, though. Most plans are hotspot qualified and more forward-looking carriers like T-Mobile don’t even have a distinction.

Thanks Hugo. Yes I guess it’s a waiting game.

@jdelaune, is CaptiveNetwork still absent in beta 5, do you know?

@smittytone well the frameworks not “absent” as such, it just returns nothing anymore. And yes it’s the same in beta 5

Good news. It works again in iOS 9 GM :slight_smile:

Woot! :slight_smile: