IMP002s won't hold connection on inseego M2000

I have 2 IMP-002 devices that have been successfully connecting to multiple wifi routers for some time. I recently got a new 5G mobile device from T-Mobile, an “inseego M2000 mifi”. This works with all my other devices as expected. Both the IMP devices appear to establish a connection (the M2000 lights up and says a device has connected) but after about 10 seconds the connection drops. There are no messages or indications on the IDE as to whether any comms was successful - device shows as “offline”. All settings on the mifi/M2000 are default. Any ideas?

MAC addresses of the 2 devices:


Thanks -


I had a look at black box logs and there are periods where it can’t reconnect - for 20s (your connect timeout) it can’t find the SSID being broadcast at all, or isn’t responding to the associate requests. This sounds a little like band steering (APs that ignore requests on 2.4, hoping the device gives up and moves to 5.8).

A quick look at the M2000 manual doesn’t show an option to disable steering though.

The other thing I noticed is that sometimes the signal from the router is waaaay too strong (eg -9dBm, -14dBm, -12dBm). WiFi spec is, as I remember, -28dBm being the strongest signal supported for 11g/n.

How far is the router away?

Hugo - thanks for reply - the router is very close to the Imp (I’ve been developing with router/mifi on my desk next to the Imp). I’ll try move it further away?!

Hugo - I moved the Mifi away from one dev device (233635b930728cee / 0c:2a:69:03:a1:93) - put it in next room (about 30 feet away). I force the device to try to connect to the Mifi on boot, and I have the Mifi set up to beep when a new device connects. Sure enough, the Mifi beeps, but the connection drops after a few seconds, and the device successfully connects to the next wifi in its search loop (my main house wifi).

Hugo - thanks for help - I did some more digging and found others having issues with some devices not connecting to this router. On a T-Mobile site I found this advice that seems to have fixed my issue:

On M2000 device/settings:

Change Network Technology from “Auto LET/5G” to “LTE/UMTS” (this really sucks because the only reason I got the M2000 was for 5G !!!)
Change APN from “” to “
Change PDP from “IPV6V4” to “IPV4”

Thanks -



That’s… strange, and implies that the uplink from the M2000 is the issue (ie cell network side vs wifi side).

FWIW I have 5G disabled on my T-Mo iPhone too; around here 5G gives worse performance than LTE (same latency, worse bandwidth in back to back speedtests)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.