Help needed. Imp not connecting to server

@nigel
My first encounter to get it working failed, because i assumed the app on the iphone already had my password from my wifi.
Could it be u just forgot it to? U have to enter it manually.

Gr Patch

I have tried a number of permutations all of which fail.

2 different WIFI routers on my home network (with the passwords!) - it connects to my WIFI I can see that on my router it is the server connection that fails.

In addition to my home broadband connection I have tried two different networks from my office that route through different paths in the US.

Plus 2 other pubic networks (with no login page).

I have also tried routing through 3G using a private hotspot on my iphone.

I have also tried Telnet on each (without the “:”) which also fails (so not specifically a problem with the Imp).

I have tried every trace utility I can find but no clue as to what is going wrong there has to be an easier way of providing connectivity than this - I don’t appear to be the only person having problems.

A second way to connect your imp would be greatly appreciated, like a factory ssid (and password), so when you program your phone with those credentials, you have a first connection and be able to change that by code.

Good morning

Readfing this thread, I think that I have a similar problem:
First IMP was registered after connecting to one of my WiFi networks without problems and directly visible in the IDE.

Second one was visible, but the device ID was visible twice (see image). Finally, this ID was of the first IMP (strange…).

Now I have just one of the three IMPs registered and running. Thoe other two are not announced as “unassigned” anymore.

To tell also, that I tried trhee different WiFi routers (two different networks). Never I have had a problem to connect the IMPs (green blinking, so OK).

I use two Sprkfun imp breakout boards, which I interchanged to be sure that those devices weren’t the cause of the problems.

If necessary, I’ll send the MACs of the three IMPs in a PM.

Thanks a lot for any help!

All the best and greeting from Andorra (Europe),
Alexander

I’m having the same problem, abeening: three Imps, all seemingly with the same name. I’ve been using one Impee for all three, so my next attempt will be to try a different Impee, and then have two operating simultaneously (need some extra USB cables for that). If that doesn’t work, I’ll get on to my Imp colleagues to see what’s up.

I’m having the same problem, abeening: three Imps, all seemingly with the same name. I’ve been using one Impee for all three

Imps do not have names. Impees have names.

Second one was visible, but the device ID was visible twice (see image). Finally, this ID was of the first IMP (strange…).

Those are the device IDs of your two Sparkfun breakout boards. The whole idea of the imp is, that it takes on the personality of the device you’ve stuck it into.

Peter

Thanks for the clarification, Peter. I was just about to post something along similar lines, based on experiment.

I understand the logic of tapping into the personality of the device it’s slotting into, though from a developer perspective, it would be really handy to be able to move Imps in and out of the same slot at will, rather than remove the Impee from a breadboard each time.

That’s for the future, perhaps. So, abeening, the moral is: keep your Imps in their own Impees!

Thanks smittytone and peter,

You clarified a misunderstanding about the ID. I think I am going to delete the assigned impees and start over with the two impees I have.

I’ll keep you informed

All the best,
Alexander

@nigelj I’m afraid if a port isn’t open, there’s not much we can do about it. I do find it very unusual that every network you’ve tried has that port blocked - that’s most unusual outside of some very paranoid corporate networks (and unheard of on a 3G connection).

Can you give any more detail (in PM if necessary) about the networks you’ve tried? There are many many many imps out there on pretty much every network provider imaginable that are connecting just fine so there’s something strange going on with your setup…

@hugo It seems I am in the same case as luizhavoc. Can I send you the MAC address of my Imp? It is one of the first developer versions.