Electric Imp, Arduino, and iPhone Powered Meditation Orb

I built an orb to flash when a user has entered a meditative state for buddha mind, an app I wrote to measure Heart Rate Variability during meditation.

So a user can get feedback via the orb as to whether or not they’re meditating properly, based upon an algorithm I developed.

So the electric imp sends out PWM to the Arduino, and the Arduino uses its serial port to send out a DMX signal. I then have the DMX signal decoded by string of LEDs in a frosted glass bowl.

You can see all the details in my blog post, including example Squirrel and Arduino code:

Building a Meditation Controlled Orb

Happy to answer any questions!

Nice work :slight_smile:

Aside from the imp its interesting to see you move from EEG to heart-rate monitoring.

I know there has been requests for imp to do dmx, if it did would you drop the arduino or is do you have other needs that that the imp cannot cover (yet)

Will you be porting your app to android or windows?

One thing - you ought to add a ground wire between the arduino and the imp. Right now, you’re getting a common ground through the PC which has the USB cables plugged into it, it looks like!

You can send DMX packets with an imp, with an RS485 transceiver. See the Kaylee reference design and source code here http://devwiki.electricimp.com/doku.php?id=boards:kaylee

nice project.
can you transform this into a “lie detector” ?