Eimp fails to read Blinkup data

Salut,
I tried several times now to commission the eimp. I use a Sparkfun Shield and the eimp starts blinking orange when powered up. I start the android app, enter my wifi credentials and start the blinkup. The eimp stops blinking until the flashing of the app is competed, then goes binking red in a fast manner. I read this as indication, that the blinkup information is not understood. After a few seconds, the eimp binks orange again. Ambient light is not an issue, I tried it in a dark room as well.
After a while, the eimp goes off and does not come up again, even after re-inserting into the slot on the shield. Only power-off on the shield resets the eimp.
Looks DOA to me…
Any help is welcome. Also some protocol feedback to the app would be a good idea as blinking led is not the best human communication channel ;^)
Ciao, Mathias
impee: sparkfun shield on arduino mega, android 4.1.1 on Galaxy Nexus

[Update]
As I continued to test this multiple times, I got the idea to rotate the phone by 90 degrees. Nothing else was changed but this time, the device accepted the data, went green/orange, then red/roange and is now green.
This seems to be quite strange … Anyway - if you experiance the same error, try rotating your phone (a polarisation effect?)
[/Update]

Hmm, never heard that one before! The contrast ratio of an LCD is dependent on viewing angle so that’s probably it - there’s no polarizing filter on the phototransistor.