I just got an imp & hannah board in the mail today and was very excited to start tinkering. I already knew everything I needed to do to commission the imp and was ready to send the blink up code via my phone (I’ve got a Motorola Droid Bionic w/ the Electric Imp app, obviously). After sending the blink code a few times, I kept getting the “fast red” LED flashes to indicate that the blink up message failed; also, sometimes the card would simply stop blinking any colors at all, and I’d have to un/replug the card into the hannah board.
I was slightly frustrated, but still had high hopes that it was something silly that I was overlooking. That seemed to be the case when I read that the ambient light may be an issue while sending a blink up, so I headed to a room, turned off all the lights, and sent the blink code, but it failed yet again. It failed several times in the dark, so I was starting to wonder if there was a deeper issue, i.e. defective imp, etc…
Just to cover all of my bases, I asked to use a friend’s iPhone (4s w/ i0S 6) to try the blink up.
WORKED. FIRST. TRY.
I’m not sure what the difference could’ve been between the two, but I may try and take a video of the two sending the blink up code side-by-side and see if I can spot any differences (which maybe unlikely considering the frequency of the blinking).
Overall - glad it’s working, yet upset that that’s what it took to get everything up and running.
As a side note - the “Commissioning an imp” page on the dev wiki makes references several times to options unavailable in the blink up app in the “Notes for WiFi Network Configuration” section. The “show typing” button for displaying the network password doesn’t exist, and the “WPS PIN setup button” is not named correctly (I believe it is still just “Blink Up”). Would be nice to see some consistency between instructions and reality…
Anyways - onto tinkering!