Budweiser black box

Hi all,

I just got my hands on a budweiser black box for connecting the red light pitchers. I tried blinking it through every bud app…but I just blinks red. I tried thru the electric imp app in legacy mode and it went green did a bunch of green and red and then went back to red flashes. I dont want to mess around with the electric imp app too much as I dont want to loose the programming from budweiser. Any thoughts?

Fast red or slow? Fast red is a power supply issue (need new batteries?); slow red is a connectivity issue. Is it red or orange, BTW? I’d expect to see a slow orange flash after using the EI app with the Red Light.

You can’t use the EI app with this device – you will need the Bud app – but that green suggests that BlinkUp is working, so I would check the network credentials you put into the Bud app. And make sure you’re trying to connect it to a 2.4GHz WiFi network – it won’t connect to 5GHz networks.

So with any Bud app…older bud, new sports, and bar edition(not sure if it’s the official app) when I do blink up…the wifi light stops flashing and then just starts flashing red again. With the EI app…it atleast goes green and then back to red…one long 2 short…it also had orange when I tried to use my cell phone’s hotspot…the only way I get the green response is with legacy mode on EI app…no bud app gives any response…seems odd that it seems to do something in legacy mode but no where else

Ok…yes I am getting slow orange now consistantly with the EI app…is there a way to get the bud app to do legacy mode? It wont work any other way or is there a way to update the software to accept the new flash system?

With the EI app, the light will flash orange because that’s your cue to perform a correct BlinkUp – the server is rejecting the device because you’re trying to blink a production device (the Bud Light) with Developer BlinkUp (which is what the EI is for).

So you will need the Bud app to configure the Red Light correctly. If you’re sure the network details are right and the network type is correct (see here for more info) then you will need to reach out to Bud for assistance – it’s their app, not ours.

You could also try borrowing a friend’s iPhone or iPad and using that for an initial BlinkUp, just to get the device online. iOS BlinkUp is a little more resilient (eg. no need for legacy mode) because of how iDevice screens work (ie. more consistently across devices)

Yup iPhone took…green light came on…will have to play with it now to get it to connect to the bud servers as they wont help as it was not meant to go to the general public

Pretty sure the black box was essentially electrically identical to the bud red light. As it was made by the same company, blinkup might just work - you have it flashing green, did you try the “test light” button in the app after blinkup?

Test button works lights it up…however it is not getting goal notifications as it hasn’t linked up to my account. I’ll have to play with it a bit more

Test button in the app (not the button on the device… I’ve never seen one of these devices!)

Sorry for the delay in answering. The app doesn’t find the device. The best I can do is press the test button on the black box. Im almost at the point to try and create a device that will press the button for me when a goal is scored!

That’s interesting - do you have a device ID? I’m not sure if Budweiser are still supporting that device (they do appear to be supporting the red lights though, so…)

20000c2a69038dcb I have actually created a device to push the button using one of the bottoms of the red light glasses and a light sensing diode. Would be nice if it just worked through the app tho. Budweiser has also told me they no longer support the black box, so this is probably the best I can do. At least it works :slight_smile:

Yep, verified that this device is indeed a black box v1. I can PM you the email of the contact we have if you wanted to ask them if we could unbless the device - that way you can write code for the imp inside if you wanted to.

No idea if they’ll say yes, but if you wanted to write code to control the trigger then that would be the neatest option!

Yes please!! That would be great. If it gets unblessed does it automatically wipe it or will it work the same until I wipe it manually?

It would get wiped immediately. You don’t get to see the code the customer wrote - it’ll just appear as a blank device. You’d need to work out what pins were doing what (but luckily the imp002 doesn’t have loads of pins…).

Hmmm…maybe I’ll keep it the way I have wired for now seeing as it works…im not great with coding…but I am great with relays, switches and wiring :slight_smile:

Heh, if it works, it works :slight_smile: