Electric Imp has now made impOS™ 42 — the next major version of the imp operating system — available as a beta test release. We would therefore like to invite any developer or customer who wishes to trial impOS 42 on their development hardware to join our beta program and receive the new code ahead of its formal developer roll-out.
impOS 42 brings some powerful new features to the imp platform:
- Manage multiple network interfaces from your application.
- Developed for imps that support more than one network interface: for example, the imp006 has customizable interface options (initially WiFi and cellular).
- Control which interfaces are used and when: eg. WiFi for primary impCloud™ access and cellular for emergency connections, or cellular for impCloud access and WiFi for local networking.
- Please see imp Network Interface Management for a more detailed view of this functionality.
- Communicate with other devices on the same local network.
- impOS 42 provides UDP (User Datagram Protocol) support.
- Please see How To Connect To Devices On A Local Network for a more detailed view of this feature.
- Take advantage of massively expanded application code storage.
- On imp006 and impC001, VM bytecode space has increased from 256KB to 512KB on these imps, double the size available on previous releases.
- On imp005, VM bytecode space has increased from 256KB to 768KB — three times the size available on previous releases. Note that the more space you use for code, the less RAM workspace you have available — check your app accordingly.
For full details of impOS 42’s enhancements and updates, please see the release notes.
We strongly recommend that all customers begin testing impOS 42 on development hardware right away. This initial test release will be followed by a staged deployment to all remaining developer devices in the coming weeks. We will subsequently offer an opt-in phase for production devices before switching all remaining production devices to impOS 42 in Q1 2021.
If you would like Electric Imp to update one or more of your development devices to the impOS 42 beta release, please contact us here in the forum and supply the devices’ IDs, or the name of a Device Group to which they have been, or will be, assigned. Customers who would prefer to supply this information confidentially can do so through the Electric Imp Customer Support.
Please provide any feedback you have, including bug reports and questions, by the same channel or on the Electric Imp Forum.
We hope you enjoy putting impOS 42 through its paces as much as we have enjoyed preparing it for release.
The Electric Imp Team