Android Blinkup App stops

Need to reconnect my Imp onto a new router configuration so have to use the blinkup process - unless another method (I have not yet found) is available.

Problem is that the freshly downloaded stock Android App crashes out and leaving only the message “Unfortunately, Electric Imp has stopped”. Tried several times and there is no other diagnostic I am aware of.

This is on Android 4.4.2. Please don’t tell me I have to update to a later system because that is not possible on my Samsung K Zoom and I cannot obtain another equivalent device. If the version is a problem I need a work around please, or access to an earlier version App. Either that or the Imp has to go.

This is on Android 4.4.2. Please don’t tell me I have to update to a later system

I am going to tell you that you should. Android 4.4.2 is almost 5 years old, and official Google support for Android KitKat ended over a year ago. The version you are running has at least one known security vulnerability in it.

because that is not possible on my Samsung K Zoom and I cannot obtain another equivalent device.

But… that’s a cool-looking device, and I can understand that you would only want to replace it if you could find something similar.

What you can do, however, is use the in-browser BlinkUp provided by impCentral. Click the “chip” icon in the top right, and choose the “BlinkUp New Device” option.

Here’s a link: https://impcentral.electricimp.com/ide/blinkup

You should update, for the reasons @rogerlipscombe notes. But that Android app should work under 4.4.2, so we’ll definitely look into that.

Thanks all for a fast response. Tried the browser option several times but no go using Firefox and a HP monitor. Then found an old iPhone 3GS with the app installed and that seems to have worked. Last call would have been to find someone with a more up to date phone.

The fact that people appear to be keeping their phones for longer and are taking up SIM-only contracts may become an issue for the IoT community.

If you do find the problem with kit-kat let me know.

@Hundred1906, can you recall at what stage during the log in -> BlinkUp -> Device Connecting… sequence that the app posted the error? I’d like to get my Android dev to look at this, and we need to get an idea about where to start looking for this issue.

Thanks!

Start the App. Select “CONFIGURE A DEVICE”. Then almost immediately the App disappears and the message box “Unfortunately, Electric Imp has stopped” pops up with two options “Report” and “OK”.

Maybe there is a network setting screwed up on my phone. I’ll try to check but otherwise the phone is working as I expect.

Thanks, @Hundred1906 - that’s very helpful. The message indicates the app is crashing, so we can now take a look at what might cause that.

We’ve found the bug, we think. I’ll let you know when a new release is out.

@Hundred1906, there’s a new version of the Android app which fixes the issue you reported with Android KitKat. Please let us know if it works for you — or not of course!

Seems to work. I have not taken it through the entire blinkup process yet, getting only as far as entering my wifi details but it has not crashed out to that point - which is way beyond where it went previously. So I would say that the original problem is fixed thank you.

Thanks. Let us know if you experience any further issues.