Wifi Configuration Alternatives to using the App

The iOS app remains in the approval process and there is currently no other non-Android method for commissioning an imp.  We are considering an in-browser feature but that will be in the future, way after the iOS app is approved.  Sorry we can’t offer more at this point but once the iOS app is approved, most users’ commissioning issues should be resolved.  Thanks for your patience.

One of my colleagues wrote a Windows application which successfully issues blinkup commands. He needs to add all the WiFi configuration options and we’ll release it - should be this week.

I’ve also been experimenting with javascript blinking, and at the moment I think it might work for a subset of browsers on desktop hardware.

Of course it’s vital that the Android and iOS apps are solid and available before the product is in retail as many applications will not allow for blinking in front of a PC. That’s why Electric Imps attention is rightly focussed on those apps.

Rob
Fen Consultants, UK

Rob many thanks for Windows app, how you going to release it?

As I’m an iOS user with two imps awaiting WIFI giving life!  

I’m going to release it as a “free as in beer” Windows binary. I’m sure Tom, who wrote it, would have no problem releasing the source but it includes enrolment stuff we had to get from Electric Imp and I’m not sure I can release that (their call). In any case it’s C# and SlimDX so it’s not about to recompile on a Mac. It might run OK in parallels, I don’t know how good their video sync is.

Rob
Fen Consultants, UK

I would be happy to write one for OSX/Linux(possibly) if I had the details I needed.

Chris

Rob 
“free as in beer” I’ll buy a skinfull if you get my Imps connected.

I’m only an hours drive from Cambridge.

controlCloud - Well, if I’d known you were so close to Cambridge, I’d suggest that you drive on over and see if Rob can use the various Android devices he has to commission your imps.  Of course,  you’ll have to clear it with him first as I don’t want every iOS user in the UK to go knocking on Rob’s door :).  Of course, you can always wait until Windows app or IOS app is released too…

Actually I'm not the only person in Cambridge who could help. Nong, you do remember you have an office here, right? :-)  At least as of a few days ago.

Anyway I'd be happy to help but you wouldn't know for sure it was programmed correctly until you got it home and tried it with your network. PM me your location, maybe it's somewhere I pass by.

Rob
Fen Consultants, UK

Nong happy to wait but had wanted to demo imps in Sept.

But UK customs, Apple & a week in Cornwall have put paid to that. 

The beer offer was a simple way of saying thanks to Rob & co for the Windows App.
Rob was going to try & bind my imps to a Three MIFI so can demo stuff on the road.

Oh, yes, I do recall an office in Cambridge now ;)…

Germane to the original topic:

May I configure the app with an msi net book with built-in wireless 802.11 ?

If the netbook is running windows 7 you may be able to use the windows 7 blinkup - search the forum and you should find it.

Thank you!
Tamas

Works great in Windows8 by the way. Tried it today and got a brand new Imp configured and running the very first try with the windows Blink-Up. I have an HP Pavilion Desktop with an HP w2207 monitor. I held the imp about an inch from the screen, closed my eyes and away it went.

Have been experimenting with “App-less” deployment from a “least amount of key presses” perspective for easier, faster, cheaper deployment in an industrial environment.

The app can be skipped (in many cases) when it becomes possible to set WPS (w.o. pin) from imp code. So when the unit is turned on (w.o. credentials), it can act as if “WPS w.o. pin” was blinked up then.

On-site, the existing router WPS button is pushed, and the Imp enabled unit is just powered up: “1-click installation”. It opens for imp enabled units to be designed with a physical WPS button, to repeat the trick.

Today, I think an “App-less” deployment has to be together with preconfigured routers?

For this programmatic WPS to work, the devices must have been configured onto an account already, though, because WPS just gets them wifi credentials, not their enrollment token.

Some customers preconfigure known wifi settings at the factory, as they know what the deployment environment is.

You can also in fact do blinkup from a browser (works great on phones) which means no app required. For security you’d need the backend to request a token though vs the webpage as that’d mean you’d leak your credentials.

Would love to learn more about browser based blinkup, as we already have a mobile web app with security as part of a service.

We really ought to publish something there… stay tuned

It is a great alternative. Using purely a mobile web app, you can skip the app store overheads/lead times. Time to market could be a matter of hours, skinning a demo mobile web app that includes a simple EI enabled service front and blinkup.

Does someone have phone browser blinkup code to share? Thanks.