Real time receiving data from imp

Just happened to be reviewing cc3100 for another project and came across this video example which reminded me of what you are trying to do - this guy uses analog signal on one side and plots values on another device using wifi as wireless communication medium… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyg7sOuM7Xw

so using the same language as this chap your project device will be the “client” and your phone app will be the “server”

what do you mean by “work as local access points”, work as adhoc routers?

3-4 months ago I briefly experimented with an Adafruit CC3000, but their bundled library was mainly focused on reading/writing to websites, and if I am not wrong they only supplied client functionality. So I left it aside.

A local access point means you can connect to it directly by searching for this wifi network on your phone, for example. You will see this access point as a connection option. Once connected you have direct access to the device.

The client/server references used in the video example are in fact the reverse to what you are trying to achieve as your phone will actually be your client device which will then “log in” to the wifi device which will provide access to the server… which is actually the MCU connected to this wifi device. The wifi server device will then stream your information to your phone app etc.

I cannot see why the cc3000 will not work for you (although it would have to be connected through your router). You just need to dig a little deeper to use the right functionality. I note in their github library some examples that could be adapted to suit your purposes. There are a number of server examples there. The limiting factor here is not this module but the micro controller that is connected to it to handle stream buffering for example. Their library assumes that you are using Arduino, which may not be up to the job.

Yes i do use arduino.
On the other hand, besides all these, I also need to be connected to the internet.
So I don’t think it would work if I was connected to a CC device

You should maybe look at html5 web sockets which can handle real-time 2 way communication with minimum latency. I was going to suggest you look at mbed platform but did come across an Arduino library. I also came across a socket.io library for arduino/cc3000. Unfortunately I have no experience in implementation.