Introducing... the imp004, aka the Marvell 88MW30x

nice to have someone to blame - we had designed imp004 into product and now we cannot get them…

Have you contacted sales? In the short term, imp002/003 are readily available.

Guys. Any info on the pricing of Imp005. I started with Imp because of the pricing of Imp004 mentioned in this table.

https://electricimp.com/docs/manufacturing/modules/

Then I learnt of the extra licensing fees to be paid to Electric Imp. Even though that put pressure on my BOM cost, it was still manageable. I just wanted to get an idea of the pricing for Imp005 for volumes of 10,000.

You should contact Murata for pricing; as we don’t sell these ourselves we can’t give binding pricing commitments. 005 is slightly cheaper than 003.

Will do. I am working with them.

Q3 2016 is nearly up, was waiting patiently but couldn’t hold out any longer. Any news on the release date of the imp004m and indicative relative (compared to other imp modules) pricing?

I’m afraid I don’t have any updates on availability (though should have some soon) or pricing; your best bet is to ask Murata. Support for imp004m is in release 36 (and as you’ve seen, release 34 is just going out the door now)

Thanks Hugo. Sounds like it’s a way off then, I’ll stick with the imp003 for now.

Update: we should have samples of imp004m (with non-final antenna) by early to mid october. It’ll run a preliminary sw release at that point. Footprint will be compatible with mass production version but we are improving the antenna performance.

When will production units of the imp004 be available?

Looks like April, and should be in distribution at that point too.

Sample qty (enough for early builds, ie no problem with 10’s of units) are available right now, just ask.

We are getting ready to do a production run of our board real soon and will need 500 units of the imp004. Who would be the best supplier and will they be available in April?

You should contact your Murata representative. They will not be in distribution in April, - though devboards will be available from Digikey etc then - but they may be able to help you.

Update: units are going to be available 1st week of May. You should immediately contact Murata and tell them you want some units.

Would Digikey be a good contact for a Murata representative?

No, you’d have to go to Murata US and find your local rep. Digikey are a distributor, though they should have units at the start of may too (as will Mouser).