Garage Door Opener with iPhone App

My relay is mounted across the center split on the perf board, so the pins on the near side are not connected to the pins on the far side. Also, notice that several pins on the April are removed. Youll have to design your circuit around the pinout of your relay, there are many designs. Do you have a schematic of the relay?

all I have right now is a picture, the package is at home… it is a 5v/1A micro relay from radioshack

Then the pin-out is probably the same as mine. Your coil pins are the ones on the left, Common is the single at the bottom, and NO and NC are the pair at the top. Does your perf board have a split in it?

Thanks! there is a split…

You should be able to wire up like I did. The schematic will be on the plastic packaging. put the diode across the coil like I have, and connect VIN to the white stripe side, and the Collector to the other side.

looking at your device i dont see anything connected to your imp VIN

Your right, I used the 3.3V pin, so either will work, but I think I would recommend using 5V, to make sure you get sufficient voltage across your coil. Also, If you notice, I have the DC+ and DC- busses wired backwards where the spring terminals are. That was on purpose for the terminals, so just ignore it.

I have fully intended to write up an instructable for this, and haven’t yet. I guess it might be handy. :slight_smile:

this is what I have so far…

One the right hand side, it looks like you have GND connected to the V+ rail. You don’t want that.You have GND connected to V- already on the left hand side.

Your transistor looks correct, as long as the pins are emitter, base, collector from left to right.

I think your diode is in backwards. The white stripe should be connected where 3.3V comes in from the V+ rail.

I think that your NC and NO pins on the relay are on the same bus as Pin 7, and 8. If so, pull those pins out of your header before you solder it to the Imp. It probably won’t hurt anything, but no reason to have them connected.

I think everything else is good to go. Get your header soldered and see if the relay clicks. After that you just need a wire to Common and NO on the relay.

Thanks! I will give it a try when I put my baby to bed. What did you name the new stripped files file on github?

I found it, just had to refresh my screen. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!!!

Log states “Action received” but no relay click… Made the changes u recommended.

It looks like there is constant power coming out of the relay maybe. When I plug an led in, and ground the other one the led lights up

When you open the Garage Door panel, you should get this in the log:
2013-10-24 08:11:03 UTC-4: [Agent] Received: {“action”:“status”}
That means that the app has requested the status of the door. Then you should see it logging your API Key. You don’t have a status, so it should respond with “Unknown” or whatever is in that string variable.

If you Toggle the door, you should see this:
2013-10-24 08:11:03 UTC-4: [Agent] Received: {“action”:“toggle”}
followed by your API Key. Then the device should execute the toggle and respond.

here is the updated layout according to your terms. I have also tried disconnecting the additional ground.

here is my log, dont think my api is working…

i deleted the api key from both the app and the agen/device… I NOW HAVE A CLICK at the relay!!

Don’t plug the LED in like that… you dont have a current limiting resistor and will soon burn it out… but that isn’t how your relay will work.

The relay is like a light switch. Normally, the common pin and the Normally Closed pin are connected. When you power the coil, it switches to Common and Normally Open. That is where you would test the LED, but you can’t just put the LED across the pins, as there is no current flowing there… you would have to wire the switch into the LED circuit.

I don’t see your API-Key being logged. After that you should see the device log this message.
2013-10-24 08:11:03 UTC-4: [Device] Received request: toggle

You probably mistyped the API-Key then. It will work with a blank key, but you wont have any security.

it was 1234 on both device

where on my board would i insert the cable to connect to the device i am controlling?