Can I use IMP to send pictures or files to another device?

Well it helps if I dont cross the TXD and RXD. Now I am not getting an error but I think I also have the same issue @bobbyziom is having.

When you view the camera.jpg in a HEX editor the file is padded with all 0’s

Hey all,

Sorry, the camera code is a bit on the old side and there are some design decisions I could have made a bit better.

• I checked back through the code - I never did implement reading the frame buffer over UART. I believe I tried it and it was either too slow or didn’t work or both. If you’d like to have a go at it, you’ll have to add another method that acts just like read_frame_buffer_spi, but uses the UART for the transfer instead, using
    CMD_READ_FBUF_UART instead of CMD_READ_FBUF_SPI.

• The code doesn’t error even though it isn’t delivering data because it can’t tell the difference between data that’s all 0x00 and no data at all on SPI. On UART, you get start and stop bits, so you can see if there’s no data returned. On SPI, the master just clocks in whatever’s on the line. If the camera isn’t putting data on the line, the imp just gets lots of 0x00.

• Use 5V from the April’s VIN pin to power the camera shield at the +5V pin next to the SPI pins. The camera shield has an on-board regulator and makes its on 3.3V. Make sure to connect ground!

• Note that the Adafruit and Radioshack boards are strapped for different default baud rates. If you use the wrong one, the device will hang on startup. I probably ought to add some timeouts and a better error message in there. Radioshack default baud is 115200; Adafruit is 38400. See the top of the device code.

Sorry for the confusion and hope this helps.

-T

I’ve read through all the conversation but seems I still got confuse. I want to know exactly that how to wire up my adafruit TTL camera to my imp under SPI mode?

Hi Joseph,

The Adafruit camera doesn’t break out the SPI interface, so you can only connect it over UART. If you want to use that module, you’ll have to extend the code to get it to read out the frame buffer over UART, which I’ve not had time to get working.

-T

You can get SPI out of the adafruit camera but it’s messy - you need to add flywires directly to the 0.5mm pitch pins on the compression IC…

Thanks for the answer, it much more clear now.

Except rewrite the code. Are there any camera module been tested able to use with existing reference source,how about the radioshack 's module?

The radioshack module has SPI pinned out so this works fine, yes.

Has anyone found a similar camera easily available in the UK? Struggling to find anything with spi broken out…