Read from a sensor and send result to LCD

Hi

I’m just beginning with the Imp.

I’ve managed to send text to an LCD and read from a sensor (LDR) and get the value in the planner. Now I want to put the sensor value to the LCD, however, I can’t get it to display, all I’m getting is random single characters instead of the numerical values. I’ve tried various ways like making a separate function for the text part both inside and after the checkLDR function and various curly bracket combinations but it always gives the same result.

I’m using a Sparkfun shield which is fine when it’s text only and the value is OK in the planner at all times. The LCD is a Textstar serial LCD, it’s set up for TTL and the correct baud rate (I’ve tried different rates, it looked like a baud rate issue!)

I’ve used some of the code from the analog pot sketch on the Wiki (btw, a line in that code ‘out_pot.set(potValue);’ gives an error and it runs fine without it.) and I’m adding in text code to that modified sketch.

Any help appreciated

Dougie

`hardware.pin8.configure(ANALOG_IN);

hardware.uart12.configure(38400, 8, PARITY_NONE, 1, NO_CTSRTS);

CharactersInLCD <- 16;

// you can read the imp’s input voltage at any time with:
local voltage = hardware.voltage();
server.log(format(“Running at %.2f V”, voltage));

local lastRawValue = 0;

server.log(“Hardware Configured”);

function checkLDR() {
local rawValue = hardware.pin8.read();

if (math.abs(rawValue - lastRawValue) > 150) {
    lastRawValue = rawValue;

server.show(rawValue);

hardware.uart12.write(12);         //sets the cursor to line 1 column 1
    hardware.uart12.write(rawValue);

}
imp.wakeup(0.5, checkLDR);

}

server.log(“measure LDR”);
imp.configure(“read LDR”, [], []);

checkLDR();
`

So, you’re sending the byte, not a printable ascii string.

Change this:

hardware.uart12.write(rawValue);

to:

hardware.uart12.write(format("%d",rawValue));

Hi Hugo

Thanks very much, it’s working well now, I just couldn’t figure that out. Next on the list is to learn how to tweet the value. Thanks again

Dougie