Optimal orientation of Imp to get maximum distance from WiFi router

Hi,
Imp noob here and sorry if this has been asked before.

What is the community experience with the orientation of the Imp so as to get maximum distance from my WiFi router. Is it best to orientate the Imp vertically (with Imp Devil Icon vertical), or Imp horizontally (with Imp Devil Icon horizontal), or does it matter?

thanks
pp

you can test this yourself very easy:
function ReportRSSI() { local rssi = imp.rssi(); if (rssi < -87) { log("Signal Strength: " + rssi + "dBm (0 bars)"); } else if (rssi < -82) { log("Signal Strength: " + rssi + "dBm (1 bar)"); } else if (rssi < -77) { log("Signal Strength: " + rssi + "dBm (2 bars)"); } else if (rssi < -72) { log("Signal Strength: " + rssi + "dBm (3 bars)"); } else if (rssi < -67) { log("Signal Strength: " + rssi + "dBm (4 bars)"); } else { log("Signal Strength: " + rssi + "dBm (5 bars)"); } }

Yeah, the antenna pattern is pretty equal, really. You’re likely to see more variation from local obstructions, any housing you’re using, nearby wires, etc.

On this topic regarding vertical orientation - does anybody have experience with placing an IMP vertical with the antenna downwards?

I am replacing a GSM modem with an Imp002 in this device also containing a RF module (case pic).

With the Imp antenna upwards, the module would have a DC barrel power jack to the left and a RF connector (SCRTM4RA) to the right of the antenna , slightly compromising the keep out area (upwards pic).

Without knowing the antenna pattern I am wondering if it might be better to place the module vertically with the antenna downwards (downward pic), as there is room in the case instead of upwards? In the field the device is placed vertical up on a wall, or sometimes on top of eg. a fridge (metal surface).

The pattern is pretty omnidirectional. You should keep the antenna away from the wires entering at the top though, so that means antenna down is better.

The further away you can keep the housing or metal fridge away from the antenna the better too (ie, if you can mid-mount, or reverse-mount the connectors so the imp is closer to the top of the box and further from the mounting service.

Thanks!