Libraries?

Is there any plan to introduce some kind of library include functionality similar to say the Arduino or Mbed?

The reason I ask is after porting some code for various breakout modules, and currently trying to figure out how to get the Adafruit OLED i2c display to work with the imp, it would be nice if in the future you could just plug in a library, not least so the code doesn’t get really long on one page.

I will second this request.

It would be very handy to encapsulate interfaces to specific devices easily. Part of what has made the Arduino so successful is the huge amount of libraries available for just about any IC. I feel the community around Electric Imp would generously share code as we tackle problems, but I in particular don’t see a good way to separate my problem-specific code out from general code that would benefit others.

This would also allow for better agent code development (.e.g having a Twitter library, a COSM library, a Twilio library), separation of concerns, etc.

I am also really hurting for a library or include solution. I’d love to share some of my basic I2C chip access and web access libraries with others.

Have you looked into what webscript.io does? They use github as the default and only root for library include paths. See https://www.webscript.io/documentation#modules

Adding functionality to include libraries is on our roadmap, but we still have some implementation details we need to sort out before we start working on it.

We can’t go into tons of details right now, but we do understand the value of libraries, and it is something we want to add to our development environment.

Working with MakeDeck, We would really love libraries as well. Especially if there is some sort of central repo we can upload our code to, and be as simple as pushing our code to it. It would make updating and distribution easy for us and users.

Does anyone know if there’s any new info on this?

Libraries are on our roadmap now - we know the importance of supporting libraries, and the power it will bring to our developers.

We haven’t specced our what it is going to look like quite yet, we’ll reach out for feedback once we get a bit closer to the feature.