Help with an i2c device

Hi all, I’m back to doing imp development after about a year hiatus. I’ve never tried doing an i2c device before, but the docs page explained things pretty well. It seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but I can’t get anything working.

I’m using a CAP1188 breakout from Adafruit, and I’m pretty much trying to port some basic functionality from that library.

Here’s my imp code

`// Configure the Adafruit/CAP1188 Capacitive Touch Sensor
// Note: Imp I2C command values are strings with
// the \x escape character to indicate a hex value

const CAP1188_SENINPUTSTATUS = “\x03”;
const CAP1188_MTBLK = “\x2A”;
const CAP1188_LEDLINK = “\x72”;
const CAP1188_PRODID = “\xFD”;
const CAP1188_MANUID = “\xFE”;
const CAP1188_STANDBYCFG = “\x41”;
const CAP1188_REV = “\xFF”;
const CAP1188_MAIN = “\x00”;
const CAP1188_MAIN_INT = “\x01”;
const CAP1188_LEDPOL = “\x73”;

// Note: Imp I2C address values are integers

const CAP1188_I2CADDR = 0x29; // ADDR pin ground

function touched(i2c)
{
local word = i2c.read(i2c_addr, CAP1188_SENINPUTSTATUS, 1);
return word;
}

// PROGRAM START POINT

// Set up alias for i2c and set bus to 100kHz

i2c <- hardware.i2c12;
i2c.configure(CLOCK_SPEED_100_KHZ);

// Set sensor’s address by shifting 7-bit address 1 bit leftward as per imp I2C spec

i2c_addr <- CAP1188_I2CADDR << 1;

// Check the product ID as a test for I2C comms: this will return 0x50 if comms are working

local result = i2c.read(i2c_addr, CAP1188_PRODID, 1);
server.log("Product ID: "+ result[0]);
`

I don’t have it trying to do much right now, as I can’t get past even returning the product ID over i2c. This should be a pretty simple port from the adafruit library:

Serial.print("Product ID: 0x"); Serial.println(readRegister(CAP1188_PRODID), HEX);

I’ve tested the breakout board with an arduino, so I know it’s not a bad chip.
I’m seeing nothing at all in the device log. I’m scoping the SDA and SCL pins, and they’re both just remaining high, and I have no idea why. I set up the i2c on pins 1 and 2 just as in the example in the docs page, and I can’t see the clock or data pins doing anything. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Apparently the imp IDE was claiming that my code was building and running, when apparently it was not. I had to refresh it in order for anything to work… I discovered this by unplugging my april board and then clicking build and run, and it told me that my device was online and that my new code was running. I’m getting the product ID back in the device log now!