Electric Imp Doesn't Blink Up (Nor Blink At All)

I’ve had this for about 6 months and haven’t been able to get it to do anything. At no time does the LED inside ever blink, am I doing this correctly? I have an account, I downloaded the Android application onto my Samsung Galaxy S3, input the SSID credentials and placed the Imp against the screen of my phone with the Imp opening touching the screen. My phone does the flashing and the Imp does…nothing. No blinking, no response, nothing. I’ve tried it on its own, I’ve tried it inside the sparkfun.com development board (with USB plugged in), nothing happens. I get no response at any time from this Imp.

Do you have the jumper on the board covering the USB pins? There are three pins. You cover the two on the BATT side if you are using a battery, and the two on the USB side if you are using USB power.

There’s no jumper, there’s just holes in the board and neither of them are labelled USB nor BATT. I have this board: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11400.

For some reason SparkFun choose not to populate that jumper, which is kind of silly.

From the SparkFun page:

Note: If you want to use the mini-USB or battery inputs for power, you will need to populate the 3-pin jumper and set it to either 'BAT' or 'USB'. Otherwise, you can just simply power the board using VIN and GND without the use of a jumper.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…that makes sense. Finally after all this time I have an explanation, thank you. I’ll try wiring it up properly and then using it.

Forgot about that on the Sparkfun board. I’ve only every purchased one of theirs. You could make a solder bridge across the set of pins that you want to connect, but that isn’t easy to move if you want to go back and forth to USB.