Duino: Release Dates?

Can you give me any guidance on when the Duino dev kit will be available, both in reference design and to order?

Thanks,
Luke 

same question here :wink:

And here

It’s not a priority right now. There are some API extras that need to be implemented to make this more elegant and as such we’re not working on duino at all now.

It’ll happen at some point later in the year.

any update for ANY breakout? your device hit sparkfun but many of us have FTJ (full time jobs) and would like to us it … :wink:

From what Sparkfun said in their video, their April equivalent and Arduino shield are due in the next couple of weeks; we were hoping they’d be ready at the time they got their imps but unfortunately not :frowning:

Other vendors are working on their own breakouts, but again it may be a couple of weeks. Sorry…

Maybe I can offer a little hope to people wanting to dive in now. I was able to cobble together some parts from sparkfun and digikey to make the IMP functional.
Parts:
-A spare Arduino to steal 3.3v from. 5v Arduinos have a 3.3 volt supply pin on them.
-SOIC Atmel Crypto Chip
-A 100k resistor and 0.1pf capacitor for the Atmel chip.
-SOIC Adapter to put Atmel chip on a breadboard
-Don’t forget headers if you’re using a breadboard
-SD Adapter
IMPORTANT Note on this SD adapter. Sparkfun has connected one of the VSS pins to ground and its not really possible to cut the trace. But I found it was possible to remove the shield cover and break off the additional pin that is connected to ground next to the CD pin. Then I also cut off the two parts of the shield that touch the ground pads on the PCB. In this way GND and CD become their own usable pins. (The attached pinout will prove invaluable, --Thanks @Brown). You might have more luck finding a different SD slot or using the SD sniffer which appears to have a place to cut the trace.

Using the schematic for the april You can see how the crypto chip is connected there. You will have to do a small amount of SMD soldering to get the crypto chip on the adapter, but its only a few pins.

Connect everything and power up the arduino. You should see some lights on the imp flash, you can now use the mobile app to program your wi-fi settings and go make some awesome stuff.

Any news on the Duino release date?

I’ve made my own arduino + imp board, and I’m pretty happy with it. The imp communicates to the arduino via softserial; I’ve got some I’d be happy to sell if anybody’s interested.
$25 just pcbs
$40 pcbs and all components (includes power cord and bootloader), no electric imp
$60 pcbs + all components + electric imp
$80 populated, bootloaded, no electric imp
$100 populated with electric imp
Source here: https://github.com/liseman/growerbot/tree/master/pcbs
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with electric imp.

Neat! Photos please!

hi alkopop79, here ya go!

Our Breakout & Shield board is tested and approved by Electric Imp’s engineers and at a lower price ($15) offers all the functions, breakout and Duino plus have the level shifters onboard:

http://smartmaker.com/en/home/600-break-shield-impee-for-electric-imp.html

Here the manual with all the functions:

http://smartmaker.com/datasheets/smARtMAKER_IMPEE.pdf

Dimitri

To be clear, my board is not a shield: the arduino and imp are all on one pcb.
But, nice board! How’s it different from the sparkfun one?

@luke,

not wanted to look down at your board that’s a great idea. Sorry about that.

Our Break&Shield has few differences compared to the SF’s one, not only the lower price.

Basically with SF’s shield all what you can do is to use the imp001 as UART device talking to the Arduino, because the serial is all what they routed. Plus, and this is not a small difference compared to the breakout board, they used a totally different voltage regulator.

The main advantages od the Break&Shield are:

1. at a lower price ($15) you actually get two boards! The small bridges that keep together the two parts of the PCB are easy to cut with a kinfe and the breakout board will separate, be ready for breadboarding and carry on the voltage regulator (tested and approved @ Electric Imp’s lab) and the Atmel ID generator. With headers (that we supply with the board) you can bring it back to the shield and it will work in the same way as the original full board. So you can actually get for 15 bucks what you need to pay $40 from others, plus you get more functions;

2. as I’ve mentioned SF’s shield only routed the UART. We have implemented every different communication way you can get on the imp001, according to the MUX you can find in the devwiki:

http://devwiki.electricimp.com/doku.php?id=imppinmux

plus, to make it as simple as possible, all the different configurations are handled with jumpers (that we provide as well), so if you want for example to use the configuration spi189 all what you need is to place 3 jumpers in the proper place and your imp001 will start to work over the Arduino’s stack using the SPI protocol based on the pins 1, 8 and 9. You can change configuration without limits, because no soldering is required and no wiring at all.

1. even more important, the whole Arduino environment is based on TTL signals at 5V but the Electric Imp can accept only 3.3V. We have implemented bi-directional level shifter on every of the 6 pins of the Electric Imp and the pins are broken out to femal headers both at 3.3V and 5V. This means that you can send any signal you want to the imp001 without care about the level. If you get a 5V output, you will go to the 5V converted pin or vice versa if you got a 3.3V. You can actually use this level converter for any other project, not just for the imp

Dimitri