Budweiser Red Light time out

there can be 100+ reasons, but all non-imp related.

Pin 1 is not used on the red light. Pin 1 issues are mainly with the Sparkfun April clone - which admittedly is a popular board for makers; It’s not an issue for most socket types, including the one used on the red light and the imp Aprils (which Adafruit sell).

I received my new light yesterday (the day after hockey is done for the season of course) and everything worked perfect when I set it up, including the test (step 4) part of the app.

Well, at least you get it for the final (and next season!). Glad it’s all happy now :slight_smile:

Hi, after hours of frustration I have solved my issue. I used an iPad to flash my card. It blinked green but I got the step 4 timeout. My router recognized the red light as a client. So…
It’s the routers fault! I switched my dir 615 for an asus rt ac 66u and its works immediately! It seems to have same settings, but I would suggest changing unicast option . Good luck!

Hi guys, I just got my red light today, and I am having the same problem. Before I begin, I do live in the states, and not Canada. A lot of people told me ordering a light, downloading the app, and getting it to the US, would not be possible, but I found a way to do it. I have a friend who’s parents live in Canada order the light, and bring it back to me in the States. I then created an account in the Canadian App Store and was able to download the Budweiser Red Lights App on my iPad. So I put the imp card in, and turned the red light on, but the imp card keeps blinking orange and the app keeps timing out at step 4. From reading everyone’s comments, I have a feeling that I have a faulty imp card. I can send bearded inventor the MAC address, but I’d rather just send my imp card back, and get a new one. I can’t send the red light back, because my friend does not live in Canada anymore, and she was only able to get it to me, because she was in Canada during the Summer. Please respond, thanks.

only blinking orange looks strange. are you sure it’s not blinking red/orange?

If your imp is blinking orange, it means that the imp has not received any wifi configuration information. In other words, step 3 failed.

Here are some common mistakes people make, and how to fix them:

1. The Redlight was on for more than a minute before you blinkup (blinkup is only active for 1 minute after powerup). To fix this issue, get to Step 3 in the app, and turn your Redlight on right before clicking “Ready”
  2. You hold your phone too far away from the imp. To fix this issue, hold the screen of your phone as close to the imp as possible (without pressing the red test button on the light). You should be able to get your screen flush with the edge of the imp
  3. There is too much ambient light in the room. To fix this issue, try blinking up in a darker environment
  4. You’re using an Android phone. A lot of users have had issues with the Android app. Android does not prioritize stable framerates in the same way the iPhone does, which can cause problems with certain models of Android phones. To fix this issue, try blinking up with a friend’s iPhone.

I’ll make a video of blinking-up a Redlight, and post a link here shortly.

Maybe it is red, you can’t really tell without the picture. However with the picture it looks red.

I’m using an iPad too, would that affect it at all?

That is orange. Which means your imp didn’t receive the blinkup.

Do you want to try again with the pointers I gave, and let me know how it goes (make sure the red light was just turned on, get the screen as close as possible, and do it in a dark environment if possible).

Just tried it in a closet. Same problem with the orange flashing and timeout during step 4.

I think it’s my Wifi that’s the problem. On the FAQ part of the budweiser red lights site, it says that the device will not connect to a network that requires both a user name and password. My wifi network has both a username and a password, I think I am going to have to set up another wifi network that has no password.

Unless you have a very strange wifi setup for your home, it should be fine. The imp has no problem connecting to most wifi networks. The FAQ page is referring to enterprise wifi networks where you need to enter the SSID, network password, and then an extra username and password on top of those.

Also - if it was failing because of authentication it would be blinking red instead of orange.

Oh, so then what do you think the problem is? I’ve tried everything, and it’s still timing out and blinking orange.

What iPad? If you’re using the 2x mode to make the (phone only) app big, that can cause problems - the Budweiser app is not supposed to be used with an iPad and hence I don’t believe it works well.

Try using the app in non-zoomed mode maybe?

I got it to work!!! I made a very dumb rookie mistake. I was using the outside camera of my iPad to connect the lights. I tried using the inside camera, and BAM it worked! Thanks for all your help everybody! Enjoy the season!!!

Ah, that would explain it as it’s not the camera - it’s the screen of the iPad that needs to be against the sensor :slight_smile:

Sabersfan
How did you open the CA app store account? I tried and they wanted a Canadian credit card. I am also in the States and got 4 red lights as gifts. I need the app!!!

Mr wright it’s really easy. All you had to do was create a Canadian account on iTunes. Then you sign in to the App Store, and it takes you right to the Canadian App Store.