Accidentally blocking impOS causing device to go offline?

In my application I am trying to run a measurement process as quickly as I can.

The process involves sending a command via SPI to an external IC, listening for an interrupt from the IC indicating the measurement is complete (which is usually ~30ms later), and then reading it back. When this process is completed I start another measurement by calling imp.wakeup(0,takeMeasurement). I buffer up 30 of these measurements and send them in a batch to the agent to do other stuff. That batch transfer happens about once a second currently.

I believe the processor should be yielded after the SPI command is sent (my code thread ends at that point), and when I call imp.wakeup().

What I see is the process will run just fine for a little while, and then the device will drop offline. I have RETURN_ON_ERROR set, so sometimes it comes back up, but I have also seen “[Exit Code] imp restarted, reason: wifi outage” as well.

So far I have tried:

1. Just sending a server.log message periodically to verify its not just that the wireless is bad here and it sometimes drops. The device has not disconnected in that setup.

2. changing to imp.wakeup(0.02, takeMeasurement)

3. Increasing the transmit buffer size with imp.setsendbuffersize()

Is there something fundamentally wrong with the paradigm I am using?

Thank you very much for your time!